Like most new parents, when I had my first child, my husband and I had no idea what we had coming. You leave the hospital with this tiny being that you are completely responsible for with no handbook and only the lessons of your prenatal classes faintly swimming around in your mind. In the first few weeks, there were many things that happened that we were sort of prepared for. But until you’ve had a baby you can’t fully understand how sleep, or lack thereof, now plays a role in your life and how desperate you’ll be for helpful sleep tools and tips!
All parents struggle with sleep issues at some point. Doesn’t matter if it’s your baby or toddler, sleep struggles can seem like a never-ending journey on a very sleep deprived road. You may not be aware, but there are small changes that can be made to any sleep routine that can help your baby sleep through the night.
Four Key Sleep Tools From the Good Night Sleep Tool Kit
Create Your Baby’s Sleep Sanctuary
Practice the ABC’s of safe sleep (Alone, on their Back, in their Crib), and create a dark, quiet, and cool sleep environment. Use black out blinds, and a white noise machine to achieve ultimate sleep success.
- Keep your baby’s sleep environment consistent for both naps and night sleep so that they begin to feel safe and secure in their crib.
- Wondering if baby is too hot or too cold? Place two fingers on the back of their neck to get the best feel for their body temperature.
Make Naps a Priority During Daytime
Work with your baby’s circadian rhythm schedule to encourage healthy sleep. Promoting an age appropriate nap schedule will keep your baby well-rested making bedtime easier and night sleep more restorative.
- Before putting baby down for their nap make sure they are clean with full tummies.
Introduce a Calming Bedtime Routine
A consistent soothing bedtime routine is a set of activities you practice that helps your baby predict bedtime. Include bath time, stories, cuddles, and gentle talks to your baby’s bedtime routine.
- Massage and touch is a great addition to your baby’s bedtime routine. It can relax them and promote longer sleep at night.
Choose a Sleep Method For Your Family
You must be comfortable with your baby’s sleep plan and the method you choose so that you can be consistent. It’s important to do your research and choose a method that both you and your partner support.
- Make sure to put on a clean diaper right before bed. Using the right diaper is going to give you more confidence to help your baby sleep through the night. Pampers diapers are designed to pull away liquid to help keep baby dry.
Following these steps towards healthier sleep will allow the entire family to get the best sleep they need to function as a healthy and happy family unit.