The warm summer weather makes a lot of people happy. It lifts your mood, it’s great for your overall health – really, what’s not to love? Well, sometimes your sleep habits or the amount of sleep you get can be negatively impacted in the summer months. Stop and think for a minute…do you sleep well in the summer? Sleeping well in the summer can be difficult when mornings get brighter, the birds start chirping, and the hot and sticky temperatures can make it harder to fall asleep and stay asleep.
The good news? There is plenty that you can do to make sure everyone in your family is sleeping well in the summer months, even if you will be travelling. We’ve rounded up our top summer sleep advice so that all the information you need is easy to find. When everyone in the family is well rested and sleep tanks are full, you can really enjoy a fantastic summer full of fun and adventure.
Tips For Sleeping Well In The Summer
It’s natural for schedules and routines to shift a bit in the summer months and for families to feel a bit more flexible when it comes to rules and plans. We always suggest an 80/20 rule when it comes to sleep, as there will certainly be times when staying up later or missing a nap is the reality. And that’s okay! What we do suggest though, is to do a little bit of planning so that you can quickly get back on track before things go too sideways. Let’s get to those tips!
- We love a great summer nap, but just make sure you are napping properly. Adults, this one is for you: Watch these tips from one of Alanna’s Cityline appearances. Watch the video.
- Travelling this summer? Read our summer travel sleep tips.
- Dealing with early morning wakings due to that bright summer sun? Here’s what you can do to help.
- How to keep your baby cool for summer sleep.
- Help your child be ‘sleep ready’ for sleep away camp.
- Going camping? Sleeping at a hotel? Read more protecting naps when away from home.
- How to pack a travel sleep bag.
What are your best sleep tips and tricks for keeping everyone well rested over the summer? Be sure to follow Good Night Sleep Site on Instagram and on Facebook, as we’ll be sharing helpful tips all summer long. Whether you are sticking close to home this summer or are off on a month long adventure, we wish you a well rested and relaxing summer!
Alanna McGinn is a Certified Sleep Consultant and Founder of Good Night Sleep Site – a Global Pediatric and Family Sleep Team. She provides free child and family sleep support through Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. She invites you to join her sleep community as she works towards Good Night Sleep Site’s mission of a healthier rested family unit. For more sleep tips, subscribe to our newsletter and visit Good Night Sleep Site.